- These may include reducing one's possessions, generally referred to as Minimalism, or increasing self-sufficiency, for example.
- Simple living may be characterized by individuals being satisfied with what they have rather than want.
- Although asceticism generally promotes living simply and refraining from luxury and indulgence, not all proponents of simple living are ascetics.
- Simple living is distinct from those living in forced poverty, as it is a voluntary lifestyle choice.
- Adherents may choose simple living for a variety of personal reasons, such as spirituality, health, increase in quality time for family and friends, work–life balance, personal taste, frugality, or reducing stress.
- Simple living can also be a reaction to materialism and conspicuous consumption.
- Some cite socio-political goals aligned with the anti-consumerist or anti-war movements, including conservation, degrowth, social justice, ethnic diversity and tax resistance.
Get UpNaira updates by email