Thursday, March 08, 2007

Last of the shopping spree - CNBC Contest

First, I should report that I am now in the top 25%. Not surprising.

I suspect the main reason is because I am not full invested, I still have about $400K fake cash left. Therefore, it is time to go shopping. My strategy this time is to do a market sweep because 60% of a stock performance is based on its sector. I included 2 of Cramer's recommendations - after doing my homework of course.

So here are the picks and the reasons:
Goodyear Tire (GT) - token purchase a la Cramer
Medco Health (MHS) - ditto, although the Healtcare sector is somewhere in the middle, the stock did not stand out
Next, I try to buy a bucket of minerals with XLE, but you can't buy anything but stocks, so I chose the following as a substitute.
Phelps Dogde (PD) - Mining stood out in analysis, and may be in consolidation mode
XOM -oil is up this morning ($61/barrel), might as well pick the granddaddy of them all
AMD - 52 weeks low? what? I am taking a risk on this one, will do more research this weekend to determine if it really needs to be here
Diageo (DEO) - worst of the worst, here I was going for a pick in a sector that is not doing well now, I intend to pick the best of the worst, ROX, however its capitalization is too small for CNBC, so I settled on DEO.
Wayeheurser (WY) my token NW stock is actually in a good sector, the only big name in the tree sector.
AIG - a worst of the best approach due to capitalization pick, alternative to VTKI

I should be almost as fully invested as I set out to be by now, so expect more sporadic postings on prunings et al.

2 comments:

DonCasiragi said...

I will say play the sub-prime lottery....off their lows NFI and NEW are up 50% this week. They are both up 6 % each today as I writing this after free falling last week. FMT has also recovered. The shorts have closed in on LEND- it is 45% shorts as we speak- this indicate a likely short squeeze as we see in NFI and NEW this weej when it rallies big next week. It has fallen to 0.5 of book value- that is way discounted and i suggest a buy. I will buy LEND at this point but sell position in a week- quick money can be made...on the reverse- to play a contrary position pick up EQR- it is a play on a souring of mortgage loans and increased requirement for renters.

Ira Krakow said...

This comment has been removed because it linked to malicious content. Learn more.

Recent Comments

Previously on UpNaira

 

Followers